2 mendy's cauliflower latkes
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Yields: 14 - 16 latkes
1 head fresh cauliflower
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup whole matzah meal
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
oil, for frying
1. In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add cauliflower. Cover. Turn heat down to low. Cook for approximately 20 minutes, or until the cauliflower is soft enough to be easily mashed.
2. Drain the cauliflower and then mash it in a bowl. Let the cauliflower cool a bit.
3. Place cauliflower in a mixing bowl. Add beaten eggs. Add enough matzah meal to create a pancake-like batter. Season with salt and pepper.
4. On medium-high heat, place a few tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. When the oil is hot, drop batter by tablespoonfuls into pan. Flatten the pancakes a bit so they are not too thick to cook well in the middle. Fry approximately 3 minutes on each side, until browned on both sides and firm in the middle. Remove from frying pan onto paper towels to drain excess oil and cool.
5. Repeat, starting with hot oil and then dropping spoonfuls of batter, until all the batter is used.