7 ludy's pasteles
Preparation: 3 Hours
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Yield: 12-15 Pasteles
20 lbs Green Bananas
1 ½ Yautia
1 Large Potato
Alcaparrado (Olive and Pepper Mixture)
1 ½ Evaporated Milk
7lbs Meat, Shoulder or Butt ("Masa')
Banana Leaves (optional)
1. Grate all the vegetables in a large bowl.
2. Add milk and salt.
3. Melt achiote with vegetable oil and add a little to the grated vegetables for coloring and
4. Cut the meat and ham into small pieces.
5. Put 1 large tablespoon of cooking oil into a pot. When the oil is hot, add one envelope of
sazon and sauté with sofrito.
6. Add ham, alcaparrado, tomato sauce and garbanzo.
7. Add the meat and enough water to make a stew.
8. Cook until done and add a little of the sauce to the vegetables for taste.
9. Set up the achiote, meat, vegetables, water with a clean sponge, string and paper.
10. Proceed to wet the paper, place a banana leaf and spread vegetables over it. Add the
meat, fold and tie, assembling 2 in each pack.
11. When done, prepare a pot with salted boiling water, add pasteles and cook for 1 hour.