4 carmelo's sorullitos
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 20 - 25 pieces
10 ounces (285g) corn meal
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp butter
2 cups water
2 cups of oil (for frying)
1. In a small saucepan, bring to a boil the water, salt, sugar and butter.
2. Turn the heat down to low, add one cup of the corn meal and mix well with a whisk.
3. Using a spatula, add the remaining corn meal until well incorporated. It should be very thick, dry enough for you to handle easily by hand. Add more corn meal if necessary.
4. Let it cool down a bit before handling.
5. Form the sorullitos by scooping about three tablespoons, forming a ball first, then rolling on your hand into a stick about three inches long (7 cm).
6. Heat the oil, and fry until they achieve a deep yellow color.
7. Serve warm.
Instead of sticks, shape them into small rounds if you prefer.